We're inviting you to join this ICU department, which is fuelled by enthusiasm, motivation, and unwavering commitment. They’re proudly a part of an NHS trust that's not only incredibly friendly and dynamic but also forward-thinking, with a clear dedication to delivering exceptional healthcare to our communities.
This opportunity holds the promise of exciting growth for you, allowing you to nurture your skills and explore your interests in areas like education, research, or training that you’re particularly interested in. Moreover, the scale of the trust positions them strongly to acquire and advance state-of-the-art facilities and services, ensuring they stay at the forefront of healthcare excellence.
The ICU department consists of 16 beds, these beds are split into a separate 9 bedded unit which houses 4 level-3 beds and 12 level-2 beds. This managed flexibly by altering the beds depending on the patient requirements.
Within the department there are currently 8 consultants who work dedicated sessions in critical care and providing a separate on-call rota, this is established in a ‘block’ pattern to ensure the continuity of care for the patients. Most of the ICU Consultant Intensivists have Anaesthetics sessions that fall into their non-ICU weeks based on a 10-week rolling job plan which is scheduled around their primary ICU duties. This however is not required if you are applying as a medicine trained Intensivist.
The ICU unit see’s approximately 450 patients a year with about 60% of them being medical. The surgical specialists which are covered by this department on site are colorectal, vascular, urology, ENT, T&O, gynaecology and obstetrics.
The department is equipped to provide and perform ultrasonography, echocardiography, cardiac output monitoring and all standard critical care such as invasive and non-invasive lines as well as renal replacement therapy and high nasal oxygen therapy for up to eight patients.
Main Duties of the job
Your duties will be primarily based at one site however your presence may from time to time be required in other parts of the Trust. The key duties and responsibilities of the post will be:
- Participate in the dedicated ICU on-call rota with other colleagues
- Provide day time cover for Critical Care and support the Outreach service
- Take an active part in the supervision and management of junior medical staff, including formal teaching programmes and clinical audits
- Participate in appraisal and assessment of junior medical staff and undergraduates, and performance of clinical audit as delegated by the Unit Training Director
- To teach and train staff in other medical disciplines, nursing and support staff as appropriate
- Work with colleagues to provide a Consultant-led service with the highest standard of care
- Work with the multi-professional team to develop care pathways and clinical guidelines
- Develop and maintain good working practices
- Collaborate and promote close working links with colleagues, other departments and primary care
- Offer educational, clinical support and leadership to junior medical colleagues, nursing colleagues and other members of the multi-disciplinary team
- Ensure appropriate information is made available to staff to measure clinical performance and enable meaningful benchmarks to be established and evaluated within their area of responsibility
- Ensure there is a robust process for reviewing the quality of services provided, explaining the causes of success and failure and ensure the highest standards are maintained
- Provide a role model of professional leadership, which underpins the corporate values and behaviour agreed by the organisation, ensuring these are understood and demonstrated by the medical workforce within their area and take remedial action where poor behaviours are demonstrated
- Ensure that junior doctor’s training conforms to College requirements
- Participate in the appraisal of medical staff within the department in line with the Trust’s agreed policy
Opportunities for development
Trust provides outstanding educational and developmental prospects for their workforce. They have robust connections with local universities, enabling them to offer a wide-ranging selection of courses and programs. These options span from personal growth initiatives to leadership and management skill development.
Their Leadership Academy is dedicated to cultivating the leaders of tomorrow, while their comprehensive induction program familiarizes new team members with the organization's values and imparts vital information about the benefits available to their staff.
In order to apply for this role you will need:
- GMC Registration complete (or awaiting ID check)
- Recognized post graduate degree (EDAIC, EDIC, MRCP, FRCA, USMLE)
- Language test (OET or IELTS)
- ECFMG verification
- Experience in a similar position overseas or locally (Consultant/Locum Consultant)
- Experience working as a Consultant Anaesthetist / Intensivist overseas or in the NHS
How BDI Resourcing can support
When choosing to apply for your next role with BDI Resourcing, you’ll have the full support of an expert recruitment team who will assist, as standard, with:
- CV Preparation using our recognised bespoke guidance
- Application support with expert knowledge of specialisms, NHS and local support
- Video based Interview Preparation using specific example questions according to job role
- Contract and offer negotiations for salary, relocation packages, tenure and more
Once you have accepted your new role, you’ll then be met by one of our dedicated relocation executives who will guide you through all the way to starting to your new role including:
- Document gathering and checking
- COS and Visa Application support if applicable
- Short- and long-term accommodation sourcing
- Travel Arrangements
- Family support for finding schools and any other aspects of pastoral care
How to apply
If you wish to apply for this opportunity or if you would like to discuss your search for work and seek advice on other available posts then please send a copy of your most recent CV to email@example.com and one of the Anaesthetics & ICU specialists will be in touch.
We look forward to hearing from you and wish you all the best with your job search!