A geriatric consultant in the NHS is a doctor who specializes in taking care of older people, especially those who might be dealing with health issues related to getting older, such as frailty or memory issues. These doctors work to make sure older patients get the right treatment, support, and advice to stay as healthy and comfortable as possible as they age. Geriatric medicine is an excellent way for doctors with a background in general medicine to enter the NHS system, as this subspecialty of internal medicine is closely aligned with the skills and knowledge acquired overseas in general practice.
- Provide leadership and support of the elderly care team.
- Lead daily inpatient ward rounds, and outpatient clinic.
- Support the acute frailty service.
- Provide expert clinical advice regarding the management, treatment, and discharging.
- Contribute to the on-call rota as required.
- Contribute to the clinical governance, including research, audit, and administrative duties for the elderly care team.
- Participate in the education and training for junior doctors.
- Take part in multidisciplinary meetings, alongside specialists, consultants and medical staff.
This hospital has over 300 inpatient beds, and provides services for a wide range of departments, such as general medicine, elderly care, surgery, haematology, neurology, and rheumatology amongst others. There is also an established education centre, which provides education and training events for undergraduates, postgraduates, and professionals who are looking for further education support. The elderly care department manages an acute frailty service, which ensures that all frail patients are referred to quickly and effectively. There are also stroke and neurological teams, consisting of specialist nurses, consultants, and junior doctor, who work in liaison with the geriatric department.
This Trust is located in the midlands, close to cities like Coventry, Birmingham, and Nottingham. The city's central location in the UK makes it easier to access other parts of the country and international airports, making it really easy to travel and see friends and family overseas. The closest airport is less than an hour away. There is a wide range of amenities, such as international shops, restaurants, schools, which make it a very popular and diverse location to live in.
To apply for this position, you will need the following:
- Full MRCP.
- GMC with license to practice.
- Experience in general and geriatric medicine.
How BDI Resourcing can support
When choosing to apply for your next role with BDI Resourcing, you’ll have the full support of an expert recruitment team who will assist, as standard, with:
- CV Preparation using our recognised bespoke guidance
- Application support with expert knowledge of specialisms, NHS and local support
- Video based Interview Preparation using specific example questions according to job role
- Contract and offer negotiations for salary, relocation packages, tenure and more
Once you have accepted your new role, you’ll then be met by one of our dedicated relocation executives who will guide you through all the way to starting to your new role including:
- Document gathering and checking
- COS and Visa Application support if applicable
- Short- and long-term accommodation sourcing
- Travel Arrangements
- Family support for finding schools and any other aspects of pastoral care
How to Apply
To apply for this role, simply send your CV through to email@example.com and one of our specialist medicine team can pick it up. If you have any questions or would like to know more, please email your queries through to the same address and one of our team will be in touch.