This is an excellent opportunity for doctors who are looking to pursue a career in Geriatric and General Medicine. As a registrar in the NHS, you’ll be able to work under supervision of highly qualified Consultants, as well as the ability to work independently during your on-calls. General Medicine in the NHS is perfect for doctors with a wide range of experience in internal medicine overseas and have an interest in providing care for elderly patients. In this position, you will see similar types of general medical cases as you would overseas, with the added benefit of managing cases such as Alzheimer’s Disease, Parkinson’s Disease, fractures, delirium, and other comorbidities common in elderly patients.
- Attend daily ward rounds, under the guidance of a consultant, focusing on the assessment and treatment of elderly patients.
- Take part in outpatient clinics, covering other specialties in medicine.
- Contribute to the education and training of junior doctors, nurses, and medical staff.
- Provide care for elderly patients, addressing conditions such as delirium, fractures, poor mobility, frailty, Parkinson’s Disease, Alzheimer’s Disease, and other related issues
- Engage in Multidisciplinary Team Meetings with various specialists, including Stroke and Neurology Consultants.
- Collaborate with neighbouring community hospitals to ensure high-quality post-discharge care for elderly patients.
- Participate in the on-call rota as needed.
This Trust has over 800 inpatient beds and provides services to a wide range of major specialties, including A&E, Intensive Care, Obstetrics and Gynaecology, Paediatrics, and General Medicine. The hospital’s elderly care service offers acute care for frail older individuals with over 100 specialty inpatient beds. There are also various liaison services in the hospital, such as orthogeriatric and surgical liaisons, Rapid Access Clinic for Older People (RACOP), and multidisciplinary clinics for Movement Disorders, Falls, and Perioperative medicine. The service extends to community care with Care Home Geriatricians, and Rapid Ambulatory Care Unit Geriatricians providing daily input into community hospitals, domiciliary services, and outreach to residential and nursing homes. Acute Geriatrics involves admission through Emergency Department, Acute Medical Unit, and Short Stay Unit, with close collaboration between Acute and Elderly Care Medicine.
This hospital is based in Southeast England and is less than an hour away from London. Whilst being so close to the capitol, you’ll have easy access to travel into London on your days off, whilst avoiding the high cost of living there. The closest international airport is also less than an hour away, so you will be able to travel easily across to world to visit friends and family. This town is known for its major commercial centers, and there is no shortage of shops, restaurants, and retail centers. The community in this town is incredibly welcoming, diverse, and friendly, so it’s perfect for doctors coming from overseas and looking for an international community.
- Full MRCP or equivalent.
- GMC with license to practice.
- Experience in general medicine.
- Experience in managing elderly patients.
How BDI Resourcing can support
When choosing to apply for your next role with BDI Resourcing, you’ll have the full support of an expert recruitment team who will assist, as standard, with:
- CV Preparation using our recognised bespoke guidance
- Application support with expert knowledge of specialisms, NHS and local support
- Video based Interview Preparation using specific example questions according to job role
- Contract and offer negotiations for salary, relocation packages, tenure and more
Once you have accepted your new role, you’ll then be met by one of our dedicated relocation executives who will guide you through all the way to starting to your new role including:
- Document gathering and checking
- COS and Visa Application support if applicable
- Short- and long-term accommodation sourcing
- Travel Arrangements
- Family support for finding schools and any other aspects of pastoral care
How to Apply
To apply for this role, simply send your CV through to firstname.lastname@example.org and one of our specialist medicine team can pick it up. If you have any questions or would like to know more, please email your queries through to the same address and one of our team will be in touch.