This is an excellent opportunity within the Anaesthesia department at a fantastic NHS Trust in the South of Scotland. This post has been created for those with an interest in pursuing a job plan in General Anaesthesia with a strong interest in Critical care.
Particularly exciting about this role, the Trust are welcoming overseas applications without prior NHS experience and can provide a thorough NHS induction at Consultant grade.
Job title: Locum Consultant in Anaesthesia with an interest in ICU
Salary: £88,364- £119,133
Contract: 12 months (with a view to extend)
The hospital is purpose-built, catering to the specific needs of both staff and patients. Remarkably, it stands out as one of the few NHS hospitals in the UK to offer all single en-suite rooms, resulting in improved recovery times for patients.
Working in this environment, you become part of a close-knit community within the workplace. Here, you are known by name, and the support provided in your role is exceptional. The hospital has made substantial investments in frontline equipment and cutting-edge technology, enhancing the overall job experience and allowing you to focus on the work you are passionate about.
The hospital takes pride in its strong nursing and advanced practitioner workforce, which assists in providing excellent support through twice daily huddles in the acute setting to collaboratively solve challenges.
Opportunities for skill development abound within the medical community across the Health Board. The commitment to continuous professional development (CPD) and acquiring new skills is evident. A culture of shared learning and best practices thrives, with weekly lunchtime Journal clubs and educational talks led by their own staff or guest speakers. The education centre is fully equipped, boasting a clinical skills area and observation/control room to facilitate comprehensive learning and training.
The main theatre complex consists of 8 operating theatres and 4 endoscopy/minor procedure rooms. The operating theatres include a dedicated obstetric theatre; 3 UCV (laminar flow) theatres; 2 integrated (laparoscopic theatres) and 1 theatre designed with the capability to install fixed radiological equipment. Each theatre has an anaesthetic room.
The Critical Care Unit is located adjacent to the operating theatres and above the Emergency Department. There is a 16-bed combined Intensive Care and High Dependency Unit with 16 individual rooms.
The successful candidate will collaborate with the Department of Anaesthesia and the Hospital to create a comprehensive Job Plan tailored to their sub-specialty interests. The Job Plan consists of 10 Programmed Activities (PAs), typically divided into 9 Direct Clinical Care PAs and 1 Supporting Professional Activity (SPA). However, the specific allocation between DCC and SPA will be agreed upon by the Board and the successful applicant.
You will participate in a 1:6 on call rota (2 consultants, one of whom is always an intensivist) with compensatory time off after on call duties.
Both the Department of Anaesthesia and the Hospital will place significant value on the development of non-clinical interests. As these roles continue to grow, additional time can be allocated accordingly. At least 1 SPA is mandatory, which may include activities such as appraisal, personal audit, professional development (outside of study leave), and teaching. The scheduling of the SPA session offers flexibility.
There is an opportunity for the candidate to be offered up to 2 additional PAs. The department embraces a flexible approach to clinical sessions, and it is expected that the successful candidate will work with similar flexibility as the existing consultants.
Each member of the department has some fixed sessional commitment to foster professional relationships and develop subspecialty interests. A range of subspecialty fixed sessions is available for incorporation into the successful candidate's job plan.
- Regular educational and research meetings are held locally, and the department participates in national education events via video conferencing.
- Generous funded study leave is available.
- The Department has a well-structured educational program, featuring various meetings and sessions to enhance professional development.
- There is a strong focus on Critical Care and Resuscitation teaching, offering courses such as ALERT, APLS, ALS, and SCOTTIE.
- The Intensive Care unit actively takes part in the Scottish Intensive Care Society Audit and has a notable track record of involvement in multicentre trials. To support local audit, research, and service development, a part-time research and education nurse position is in place.
In order to apply for this role you will need:
- Full GMC Registration (or have been invited to your ID check in the UK)
- A recognised post graduate qualification (e.g. EDAIC, EDIC, MRCP, FRCA, USMLE)
- Training in Anaesthesia
- Strong interest in Critical Care
- Great English language skills (evidenced via an OET or IELTS exam)
- Experience in a similar position either overseas or domestically (Consultant / Locum Consultant)
- Experience of supervising undergraduates, doctors in training and other colleagues
How BDI Resourcing can support
When choosing to apply for your next role with BDI Resourcing, you’ll have the full support of an expert recruitment team who will assist, as standard, with:
- CV Preparation using our recognised bespoke guidance
- Application support with expert knowledge of specialisms, NHS and local support
- Video based Interview Preparation using specific example questions according to job role
- Contract and offer negotiations for salary, relocation packages, tenure and more
Once you have accepted your new role, you’ll then be met by one of our dedicated relocation executives who will guide you through all the way to starting to your new role including:
- Document gathering and checking
- COS and Visa Application support if applicable
- Short- and long-term accommodation sourcing
- Travel Arrangements
- Family support for finding schools and any other aspects of pastoral care
We look forward to hearing from you regrading this exciting opportunity!