The acute medicine team at this award-winning hospital are working on expanding their workforce to bring another consultant into their ranks. The department are interested in doctors who have good management experience and are used to making senior-level decisions. Applications are encouraged by doctors who are working overseas as consultants or specialists and are looking for their first NHS role; if you’re a doctor who is already based in the UK and looking to make the step up to consultant this role could also be a good fit. You will have a bespoke job plan, which will be arranged between yourself and the lead consultant during your induction period to the new post. As a general rule of thumb, you should expect to be offered a 10 PA job plan (40 hours), with 7 PAs dedicated towards direct clinical care, 1.5 towards admin, and 1.5 towards SPA.
- You will make decisions on the medical admissions to the AMU (Acute Medical Unit) focusing on timely assessment, management and discharge.
- You’ll be required to supervise and teach junior doctors within department in both the AMU and Same Day Emergency Care (SDEC).
- You will be asked to participate in the medical on-call rota. It’s currently a 1:9.
- You’ll be expected to participate in clinical audits involving the department.
- You will be required to maintain and develop your clinical skills through regular CPD and use of SPAs.
- You’ll be encouraged to participate in a specialist interest alongside your work in Acute Medicine.
The hospital is a medium-sized district general hospital, encompassing many specialties. The site has been recently refurbished and comes with state-of-the-art facilities. The department have a good track record with helping doctors through CESR, one of their current consultants are currently being supported through the process now. The workforce within the hospital is very multicultural, much of the clinical staff started their careers overseas before moving to the UK.
The East Midlands is one of the most popular places to live in the UK, its multicultural and comes with a low cost of living.
The hospital is based in a city but has countryside within 30 minutes, so you’ll have the choice of basing yourself in an urban or rural environment. You’ll have everything you need here, given its so multicultural you should be able to find people with similar backgrounds relatively easily too. If you’re coming with children, you’ll be glad to know he city includes multiple schools rated both ‘Good’ and ‘Outstanding’.
Being based in the East Midlands you are a short 2 hour train journey from central London and if you wanted to visit family who are living overseas then Birmingham International Airport is 60 minutes by road. There is also excellent transportation to the rest of the country and other cities (Bristol, Manchester, Leeds).
To apply for this position, you will need the following:
- GMC registration complete or in process
- Full MRCP (UK)
- If based overseas, then previous consultant or specialist experience is essential
The below is preferable but not essential:
- Specialist registration
- SCE Acute Medicine
How BDI Resourcing can support
When choosing to apply for your next role with BDI Resourcing, you’ll have the full support of an expert recruitment team who will assist, as standard, with:
- CV Preparation using our recognised bespoke guidance
- Application support with expert knowledge of specialisms, NHS and local support
- Video based Interview Preparation using specific example questions according to job role
- Contract and offer negotiations for salary, relocation packages, tenure and more
Once you have accepted your new role, you’ll then be met by one of our dedicated relocation executives who will guide you through all the way to starting to your new role including:
- Document gathering and checking
- COS and Visa Application support if applicable
- Short- and long-term accommodation sourcing
- Travel Arrangements
- Family support for finding schools and any other aspects of pastoral care
How to Apply
To apply for this role, simply send your CV through to firstname.lastname@example.org and one of our specialist medicine team can pick it up. If you have any questions or would like to know more, please email your queries through to the same address and one of our team will be in touch.