ST3+ Acute Medicine
- £33,790 - £79698
- North West
An exciting opportunity has arisen to join a growing team of clinicians covering the Acute Medical Unit (AMU), the Ambulatory Care Unit (ACU) and the Short Stay Unit (SSU). The post holder will be required to work across all three areas on a rotational basis.
The hospital is a large teaching hospital, undergraduates from various medical schools across the North West actively take part in learning sessions there which you are encouraged to participate in.
Interest in research is welcomed with opportunities to get involved in local, national and international trials.
You will be expected to rotate between the three units mentioned above (AMU, ACU, SSU). There will be a strong emphasis on teamwork. You will also be allocated a Consultant supervisor and will contribute as a key member to the management of medical patients in an acute setting. Duties will include:
- Coordinate the care of patients on the units, and ensure all patients receive a daily visit on the wards from the team.
- Manage acute medical emergencies arriving through the front door.
- Work as part of the on call rota. This covers 7 days a week to meet the needs of the service so you will be expected to work some overnights and weekends.
- Act as a senior member of the resuscitation team when needed.
- Study leave will be available. You will be expected to maintain your clinical knowledge and skills by making use of this time.
- You will be expected to participate in the training of junior staff as well as medical students.
- Attend OPD clinics when required in conjunction with a Consultant colleague.
- Participate in regular Multi-Disciplinary Team meetings (MDT) to manage patients who present problems across a range of medical specialties.
- Maintain professional obligations as set out by the General Medical Council.
If appointed, you will be based at the Trust’s main site, a large acute teaching hospital which includes medical students from multiple medical schools across the North West. The hospital provides services to half a million people across the local region providing a full range of acute clinical services. There are plenty of leaning opportunities for you here, you will be exposed to a wide range of medical cases and procedures. The hospital’s clinical team is made up of doctors and nurses from all across the world. As an international medical graduate, you will be welcomed by the team as a valuable asset. Working as part of such an international set up will allow you to learn from colleagues from a broad range of medical backgrounds.
The North West is a great place to live as an IMG. The North West is one of the most culturally diverse regions in the UK and the community local to the hospital are incredibly welcoming of people with international backgrounds. The area the hospital is based in benefits from an exceptionally low cost of living compared to the rest of England so often proves quite a popular place to go for doctors with families who rely on the one salary. You are within an hour’s reach of the major cities of Liverpool and Manchester for transport, cultural or entertainment purposes. The town you will be based in comes with all the typical amenities you need like cafes, restaurants, parks, beaches, supermarkets and shopping centres. The Lake District is only a short drive/train ride away, it includes some stunning natural scenery and charming towns for a weekend away.
To apply for this position, you will need the following:
- GMC registration complete or in process.
- Relevant post graduate qualification (MRCP, PLAB, USMLE, Sri Lankan MD etc.).
- English language qualification (OET or IELTS).
- Two years of previous Registrar experience either overseas or in the UK.
- At least six years of clinical work in a Medicine setting post-graduation.
How to Apply
To apply for this role, simply send your CV through to firstname.lastname@example.org and one of our specialist medicine team can pick it up. If you have any questions or would like to know more, please email your queries through to the same address and one of our team will be in touch.