An exciting opportunity has arisen for an Intensivist to join a friendly and genuinely supportive department as a Specialty Doctor within a large vibrant general hospital.
You will be based at one site within the General adult Intensive Care Unit which has 16 funded beds and a further 4 in expansion phase. You will be joining a multi-disciplinary team including 9 full time Consultants, junior medical staff and ACCP’s along with experienced skilled nursing staff.
The successful applicant will be joining a tier of 8 Clinical Fellows/specialty doctors and providing a 1:8 on call cover for the critical care unit.
The post is predominantly critical care and there’s no mandatory requirement for doctors to cover theatres, however if successful in interview, you will have the option to have base specialty sessions in Anaesthesia.
- Provide Specialty Doctor cover to the department of intensive care medicine
- The post is 11.5PA’s; consisting of 1.5 SPA’s and 10 DCC sessions
- 1:8 on-call rota
- Management of patients in the critical care units and associated areas
- Provision of independent immediate care to critically ill patients including managing airways emergencies with support from on call team.
- Develop a specific field of interest
- Supervising junior trainees
- Contribute to formal teaching program of junior staff
- Research and Audit and CPD
- Undertake the shared part of the on-call service for critical care
- Work with colleagues to provide cover in the absence of others
Teaching and Training
- The department have a core teaching programme, which includes both anaesthetics and critical care. As a Specialty Doctor you will sit in on learning topics ranging from basic to advance level. You will be expected to participate and contribute to these sessions.
- Critical care trainees get bedside teaching during business ward round at 11am daily and have multiple opportunities on the unit to present and discuss complex cases with the consultants.
- The Unit also has SIM based teaching covering different aspects of critical care training.
- The team also have two College tutors, one for anaesthesia and one for Intensive Care. These Consultants are able to help with subspecialty training, CESR guidance and training applications.
- There are two designated FICM tutors who offer mentorship and guidance to those partaking in the examination sets.
- Medical Audit is practised in the Department and forms an important part of the educational programme for junior and senior staff.
- The Critical Care Unit has separate and regular M&M meetings
- The post holder will be encouraged to engage in research activity and there are plenty of ongoing research projects within both the department and the wider hospital
- The post holder will take an active role in continuing and enlarging the Departmental audit and clinical governance programme.
- The Directorate currently runs this programme on eight afternoon sessions each year
- The Trust provides excellent training for medical students through highly renowned universities such as Cambridge and East Anglia
- There is an excellent post-Graduate medical centre with a well-stocked medical library and on-site facilities
- There is an active research program in the ICU unit which is coordinated by the nurses
- The Unit also supports an expanding Critical Care outreach program and a post ICU follow up clinic
- The Unit is a fully accredited cente for basic and advanced level ICM (Stage 3) Training by the Faculty of Intensive Care Medicine · All doctors will have the opportunity to link in with the FFICM tutor and are encouraged to pursue the examinations
- CESR applications are supported
In order to apply for this role you will need:
- Full GMC Registration (or have been invited to your ID check in the UK
- Prior NHS experience (working at any grade)
- A recognised post graduate qualification (e.g. EDAIC, EDIC, MRCP, FRCA, USMLE)
- Great English language skills (evidenced via an OET or IELTS exam)
- Clear understanding of CESR and the specialist registration process
- Have started the FFICM examinations
- Experience in a similar position either overseas or domestically (Specialty Doctor/Specialist/Senior Resident)
- Experience of supervising undergraduates, doctors in training and other colleagues
How BDI Resourcing can support
When choosing to apply for your next role with BDI Resourcing, you’ll have the full support of an expert recruitment team who will assist, as standard, with:
- CV Preparation using our recognised bespoke guidance
- Application support with expert knowledge of specialisms, NHS and local support
- Video based Interview Preparation using specific example questions according to job role
- Contract and offer negotiations for salary, relocation packages, tenure and more
Once you have accepted your new role, you’ll then be met by one of our dedicated relocation executives who will guide you through all the way to starting to your new role including:
- Document gathering and checking
- COS and Visa Application support if applicable
- Short- and long-term accommodation sourcing
- Travel Arrangements
- Family support for finding schools and any other aspects of pastoral care
We look forward to hearing from you regrading this exciting opportunity!