Working as a senior clinical fellow in geriatric medicine is a fantastic opportunity for doctors who are looking for a career in geriatric, general, or ortho-geriatric medicine. Elderly Medicine is one of the largest sub-specialties of internal medicine in the NHS, and it is quite accessible for international doctors with a background in medicine. You will be a part of a dynamic team of consultants, junior doctors, and specialists who all aim to provide high quality care for elderly patients.
- Attend daily ward rounds, led by a consultant, which involve assessing elderly patients, treating cases of frailty, and covering the orthogeriatric trauma unit.
- Participate in the education and training of junior doctors, nurses, and medical staffing.
- Tend to elderly patients, and manage cases such as delirium, fractures, poor mobility, frailty, Parkinson’s Disease, and Alzheimer’s Disease, amongst others.
- Participate in Multidisciplinary Team Meetings with other teams and specialists, such as Stroke and Neurology Consultants.
- Work in liaison with nearby community hospitals to ensure high quality post-discharge care for elderly patients.
- Participate in the on-call rota, as required.
This 800-bedded hospital has been ranked as one of the best in England for its stroke services, and has other departments such as cardiology, neurology, acute care, and gastroenterology, amongst others. As a geriatrician, you will be working alongside specialists in general internal medicine, Ortho-geriatricians, neurologists, and rehabilitation experts. The Elderly Care services in the department include a specialist stroke unit, opportunities to aid patients through rehabilitation, a short stay unit for older people, and outpatient fall clinics.
The town in which this hospital is based at is the best of both worlds, for doctors who are looking to be close to major cities, as well be able to enjoy the peaceful countryside nearby. It is located within an hour’s drive of cities such as Manchester, Sheffield, Leeds, and Liverpool. There is also easy access to public transport, meaning you can travel all over the UK and have access to the nearby airports – making it easy to visit friends and family abroad. The town is very culturally diverse, and has many amenities, such as museums, restaurants, shops, and great schools if you’re coming with family.
To apply for this position, you will need the following:
- Full MRCP.
- GMC with license to practice.
- Clinical Experience in General Medicine.
- Experience with Elderly Patients.
How BDI Resourcing can support
When choosing to apply for your next role with BDI Resourcing, you’ll have the full support of an expert recruitment team who will assist, as standard, with:
- CV Preparation using our recognised bespoke guidance
- Application support with expert knowledge of specialisms, NHS and local support
- Video based Interview Preparation using specific example questions according to job role
- Contract and offer negotiations for salary, relocation packages, tenure and more
Once you have accepted your new role, you’ll then be met by one of our dedicated relocation executives who will guide you through all the way to starting to your new role including:
- Document gathering and checking
- COS and Visa Application support if applicable
- Short- and long-term accommodation sourcing
- Travel Arrangements
- Family support for finding schools and any other aspects of pastoral care
How to Apply
To apply for this role, simply send your CV through to email@example.com and one of our specialist medicine team can pick it up. If you have any questions or would like to know more, please email your queries through to the same address and one of our team will be in touch.