Geriatric medicine, as a subspecialty of general internal medicine, includes a wide range of medical conditions and health issues commonly seen in elderly patients. The field requires a comprehensive understanding of internal medicine, along with specialized care fitted to meet the unique needs of older individuals. This makes geriatrics an appealing option for international doctors with a background in internal medicine, as the responsibilities and practices align closely with general medicine practices overseas. It presents an excellent opportunity for those seeking a new and rewarding role within the NHS, where they can apply their expertise in internal medicine to provide comprehensive care and support to the aging population. The diverse and complex nature of geriatric medicine ensures that international doctors can utilize their broad medical knowledge while gaining specialized skills in managing the unique challenges faced by elderly patients.
- Scheduling and coordinating appointments, consultations, and follow-up visits for patients.
- Conducting comprehensive assessments of patients' medical history, physical condition, and geriatric-specific concerns.
- Assisting in the formulation and implementation of care plans for geriatric patients, in collaboration with the multidisciplinary team.
- Ordering and reviewing diagnostic tests, interpreting results, and discussing findings with patients and other healthcare providers.
- Providing patient education on geriatric-related health issues, preventive care, and lifestyle modifications.
- Collaborating with other healthcare professionals, including consultants, nurses, therapists, and social workers, to ensure holistic care for geriatric patients.
- Participating in clinical research projects and contributing to the advancement of knowledge in the field of geriatric medicine.
- Engaging in quality improvement initiatives, such as audits, to enhance patient safety and service delivery.
- Adhering to ethical and legal standards, including patient confidentiality, consent, and safeguarding vulnerable adults.
This hospital is a part of one of the largest NHS Trusts in the UK. Serving a diverse community, the hospital offers a wide range of medical and surgical services, including emergency care, maternity care, and outpatient clinics. With its dedicated Accident and Emergency department operating around the clock, the hospital ensures that urgent medical needs are promptly addressed. The hospital strives to provide high-quality patient care, adhering to national guidelines and standards to ensure safety and positive health outcomes. As an educational institution, it collaborates with medical schools and universities to train and educate healthcare professionals. The hospital continues to focus on delivering comprehensive healthcare services to its multicultural community, employing modern facilities and equipment to support diagnosis, treatment, and patient care. The geriatric team consists of skilled and experienced healthcare professionals, including geriatricians, nurses, therapists, and social workers. They work collaboratively to provide specialized care for elderly patients, addressing age-related conditions, managing complex multimorbidity, and supporting the unique needs of older individuals. The geriatric team is committed to delivering high-quality, person-centred care, promoting healthy aging, and enhancing the overall well-being and quality of life for their geriatric patients.
This hospital is in London, one of the most vibrant and diverse cities in the world. The hospital sites within the Trust itself are situated in different areas of London, each with its own unique characteristics. The location is highly appealing to international doctors for several reasons. Firstly, London is renowned for its world-class medical institutions and offers excellent opportunities for professional development and career advancement. The Trust's affiliation with leading academic institutions and its involvement in cutting-edge research can be attractive to doctors seeking to contribute to medical advancements. Secondly, London's multicultural environment provides a rich and diverse patient population, allowing international doctors to gain exposure to various cultures, languages, and healthcare practices. This exposure can foster a greater understanding of global healthcare issues and enhance clinical skills. Additionally, London offers a vibrant lifestyle with a wealth of cultural, entertainment, and culinary experiences. The city's international character and thriving social scene provide a welcoming and inclusive environment for doctors relocating from different parts of the world. Overall, the location around the hospital, combined with London's global appeal, diverse patient population, professional opportunities, and vibrant lifestyle, makes it an enticing destination for international doctors looking to work in a dynamic and cosmopolitan healthcare setting.
To apply for this position, you will need the following:
- MRCP 1 & 2 (or equivalent)
- Full GMC registration with a license to practice
- Experience in a medicine field
How BDI Resourcing can support
When choosing to apply for your next role with BDI Resourcing, you’ll have the full support of an expert recruitment team who will assist, as standard, with:
- CV Preparation using our recognised bespoke guidance
- Application support with expert knowledge of specialisms, NHS and local support
- Video based Interview Preparation using specific example questions according to job role
- Contract and offer negotiations for salary, relocation packages, tenure and more
Once you have accepted your new role, you’ll then be met by one of our dedicated relocation executives who will guide you through all the way to starting to your new role including:
- Document gathering and checking
- COS and Visa Application support if applicable
- Short- and long-term accommodation sourcing
- Travel Arrangements
- Family support for finding schools and any other aspects of pastoral care
How to Apply
To apply for this role, simply send your CV through to email@example.com and one of our specialist medicine team can pick it up. If you have any questions or would like to know more, please email your queries through to the same address and one of our team will be in touch.