Locum Consultant in Anaesthetics with an interest in Obstetric Anaesthesia
This is an exciting opportunity for a motivated Anaesthetist with an interest in Obstetrics to join an enthusiastic and forward-looking team in delivering high quality anaesthesia, analgesia, and resuscitation to South Wales.
You will have a primary site within the Health board however opportunities are available for cross site working and locum bank coverage to South West Wales. As a new member of staff, you will join at a team of 23 Consultants responsible for the provision of Anaesthetics and Critical Care services across Carmarthenshire. On-calls will involve covering theatres in surgical, trauma, obstetric and paediatric emergencies. Within your job plan you will have a definitive 37.5 hours per week, the equivalent to 10 sessions of work. If you are successful during interview, you will have the opportunity to arrange SPA’s within this dedicated to CPD. The Anaesthetic department is also extremely supportive of individuals seeking employment with the Emergency Medical Retrieval and Transfer Service or Adult Critical Care Transfer Service as part of their weekly job plan.
Location – Wales
Salary - £98,897 per annum
Contract – 12-24 month initial contract (substantive post available pending CESR approval)
The department covers two vibrant NHS district general hospitals which provide acute surgical, medical and elective surgery services to the area. The team provides all consultant led obstetric care and paediatric services for the south of Wales and all ENT surgery for the Health Board. The elective surgeries covered by the Health board include Orthopaedics, Breast Surgery, Urology and General Surgery.
You will be joining a growing team of Obstetric Anaesthetist who will be keen to get actively involved in ongoing quality improvement and clinical governance work jointly with the Obstetric and Midwifery teams. The department has a close working culture between all specialties and professional groups. This includes an active PROMPT faculty and involvement in national projects such as Obs Cymru.
Main Duties of the job
- Responsibility for the acute care of patients
- Providing cover to emergency and elective obstetric anaesthesia caesarean lists.
- Teaching/Training (as agreed with Clinical Lead/Hospital Director/AMD/MD)
- Participation in the undergraduate teaching program
- Assisting and participating with the development of postgraduate training for F1s, F2s, CTs, STs, SpRs, Speciality Doctors and other staff as appropriate
- Acting as an Educational Supervisor to junior and SAS medical staff
- Involvement in Audit (as agreed with Clinical Lead/Hospital Director/AMD/MD)
- Promotion of evidence-based clinical practice
- Involvement in Quality Improvement work
Opportunities for development
- There are fantastic opportunities for development within the maternity services at the health board - with an active and effective training and quality improvement programme in place. This includes an active PROMPT faculty and involvement in national projects.
- The Health Board has University status and consequently encourage all consultant members of staff to promote their own research & development alongside multi-professional teaching.
- You will have access to an 8-room Clinical Research Facility with state-of-the-art facilities and the Health board has many post CCT research fellowships open to internal application.
- As a Consultant you will have access to the successful Consultant Development and Mentoring Programme within the Health Board. This is specifically designed to meet the needs of newly appointed consultants – developing you as a senior leader and supporting you with your specialist registration.
- Opportunities for Academic accreditation
- Accredited conferences and meetings to update personal level of clinical practice, teaching and management skills in line with CME requirements
To apply for this role, you will need:
- GMC Registration complete (or awaiting ID check)
- Recognized post graduate degree (EDAIC, EDIC, MRCP, FRCA, USMLE)
- Language test (OET or IELTS)
- ECFMG verification
- Fellowship of the Royal College of anaesthetics (FRCA) (or equivalent)
- Broad based experience in Anaesthesia
- Recent senior trainee, fellow or locum Consultant level experience in Anaesthesia (or equivalent)
- Intermediate training in obstetric anaesthesia
- Sufficient experience to participate in on-call provision of paediatric resuscitation and stabilisation services alongside paediatric colleagues
How BDI Resourcing can support
When choosing to apply for your next role with BDI Resourcing, you’ll have the full support of an expert recruitment team who will assist, as standard, with:
- CV Preparation using our recognised bespoke guidance
- Application support with expert knowledge of specialisms, NHS and local support
- Video based Interview Preparation using specific example questions according to job role
- Contract and offer negotiations for salary, relocation packages, tenure and more
Once you have accepted your new role, you’ll then be met by one of our dedicated relocation executives who will guide you through all the way to starting to your new role including:
- Document gathering and checking
- COS and Visa Application support if applicable
- Short- and long-term accommodation sourcing
- Travel Arrangements
- Family support for finding schools and any other aspects of pastoral care
How to apply
If you wish to apply for this opportunity or if you would like to discuss your search for work and seek advice on other available posts then please send a copy of your most recent CV to email@example.com and one of the Anaesthetics & ICU specialists will be in touch.
We look forward to hearing from you and wish you all the best with your job search!