A fantastic Trust in the South East are seeking an enthusiastic Consultant Anaesthetist with a specialist Interest in Obstetrics to join our friendly, expert and energetic team and to actively contribute to the development of our services.
The Anaesthetics department provides a variety of services across the Trust sites including General Surgery, Paediatrics, Upper GI surgery, Colorectal, Orthopaedics, ENT, Urology, Oral Surgery. The post holder will join the friendly, approachable, dynamic and diverse Obstetric Group of Anaesthetists. There is huge emphasis on wellbeing, CPD and supporting each other.
Job title: Locum Consultant Anaesthetist with Specialist Interest in Obstetrics
Location: South East
Salary: £93,666 - £126,281
Contract: 12 months (with a view to extend)
We are an inclusive and forward-thinking team of 28 Consultants who have a shared vision of providing world class perioperative care for our local population in a District General Hospital setting. With recent RCOA ACSA Accreditation, the Department has 28 fantastic Consultants, and the maternity service is rated outstanding by CQC.
There is one dedicated operating theatre for elective caesarean sections and another theatre for all emergency Obstetric cases. Five half day LSCS lists per week are undertaken and there a 24-hour emergency obstetric service.
Deliveries are in the region of 7,000 babies born at Medway each year. The award-winning midwife-led birthing centre is complemented by 10 labour rooms and there is a separate bay of 4 Maternity Enhanced Care Unit (MECU) beds for high-risk cases.
The Consultant Anaesthetist with a Special Interest in Obstetrics covers the delivery suite between 8am to 6pm Monday to Friday with out of hours being covered by the general on call Consultant.
They are an integral part of the Labour Ward team, attend high risk maternity MDT meetings and run a daily Antenatal Anaesthetic Pre-assessment Clinic.
The Hospital is a foetal medicine centre for high-risk maternity cases such as placenta percreta/increta/accreta who require LSCS.
- This 10 PA job comprises of 8 PA for direct clinical care and 1.5 supporting professional activity (SPA) appointment and 0.5PA for Educational Supervision.
- Additional SPA s may be offered for departmental/ Trust roles.
- Work with the Trusts team of 28 Anaesthetic and Perioperative Medicine Consultant’s to provide elective and emergency anaesthetic care.
- Lead the Obstetrics unit when required and provide on-call support
- Consultants are encouraged to develop their roles as educators, innovators and leaders within the department, the hospital and beyond.
- Research activities are actively supported
- Several Consultants hold National Lead roles, and we are enthusiastic in supporting each other in activities such as presenting work at national and international conferences
- Teaching is strongly supported departmentally and trainees regularly give the department good feedback about this.
- The department are accredited for advanced training in Pain, ICM and regional anaesthesia.
- The department has a specialist interest in regional anaesthesia and we provide twice yearly ultrasound regional block teaching.
- From the day you join the department you will be required to follow a programme of continuing education to encourage your personal development
- You will be required to participate in clinical governance and quality improvement projects, with opportunities to collab with other departments across the Trust.
- The Trust is extremely supportive of the GMC Revalidation process and are happy to assist in the process of annual assessment, appraisal, and Revalidation
- Newly qualified Consultants will be allocated a clinical mentor from within the Anaesthetic Directorate and will also be supported by a programme of Leadership mentoring during their first year in post
To apply for this role, you will need:
- Full GMC Registration (or have been invited to your ID check in the UK)
- Prior NHS experience (working at any grade)
- A recognised post graduate qualification (e.g. EDAIC, EDIC, MRCP, FRCA, USMLE)
- Advanced Obstetric Anaesthesia Training
- Experience with high-risk obstetrics
- Great English language skills (evidenced via an OET or IELTS exam)
- Experience in a similar position either overseas or domestically (Specialty Doctor/Specialist/Senior Resident)
- Experience of supervising undergraduates, doctors in training and other colleagues
How BDI Resourcing can support
When choosing to apply for your next role with BDI Resourcing, you’ll have the full support of an expert recruitment team who will assist, as standard, with:
- CV Preparation using our recognised bespoke guidance
- Application support with expert knowledge of specialisms, NHS and local support
- Video based Interview Preparation using specific example questions according to job role
- Contract and offer negotiations for salary, relocation packages, tenure and more
Once you have accepted your new role, you’ll then be met by one of our dedicated relocation executives who will guide you through all the way to starting to your new role including:
- Document gathering and checking
- COS and Visa Application support if applicable
- Short- and long-term accommodation sourcing
- Travel Arrangements
- Family support for finding schools and any other aspects of pastoral care
We look forward to hearing from you regrading this exciting opportunity!