An opportunity has arisen to join a vibrant and thriving anaesthetic department. There are two 12 month full-time positions available for Consultants in Anaesthetics, which can be switched to permanent on completion of CCT/CESR. These are new posts arising from a departmental expansion within a Trust rated as ‘Good’ by the CQC! The position offers great scope to explore a variety of subspecialist pathways and applicants are therefore welcomed with an interest in perioperative medicine, trauma, orthopaedic and regional anaesthesia, obstetrics, emergency anaesthesia, acute pain and ophthalmology.
Job Title: Locum Consultant Anaesthetist
Location: South East England
Salary: £88,364 - £119,133
Contract: 12 months (with a view to extend or switch to substantive)
If successful in interview, you will be joining a rapidly expanding department and team of 46 consultants (including 15 Intensivists) and 2 Locum consultants.
There are also 18 Specialty Doctors and one new Specialist grade. The department has 9 anaesthetic specialty trainees, 2 ICM specialty trainees, 14 core anaesthetic trainees and 3-4 foundation trainees and is currently rated “excellent” for anaesthetic training.
There are several locally employed anaesthetic and ICU trust registrars. There are also Fellowship posts in echocardiography, point-of-care ultrasound (POCUS), Perioperative Medicine and Medical Education.
The Anaesthesia department is proud to have achieved the Royal College of Anaesthetists Anaesthesia Clinical Services Accreditation (ACSA) in June 2019 and remain the only anaesthetic department in the county to have achieved this quality standard
These new posts will be a full time commitment and include a variety of anaesthetic sessions as well as on-call activity. Efforts will be made to accommodate specific interests alongside the needs of the department. You will be expected to work at both of our hospital sites and to undertake a 10.48 PA contract with the opportunity to increase to 11 PA contract.
Initially you will also be allocated 1.5 SPAs for supporting activities, 1 core SPA to maintain appraisal, revalidation and statutory/mandatory training obligations and 0.5 SPA for initial personal development ‘investment’. The on-call responsibilities entitle a 3% supplement at a frequency of 1:10
- Support the delivery of a safe and high quality 24 hour anaesthetic service
- Work flexibly depending on the needs of the department
- Work flexibly across both hospitals within the Trust
- Have an enthusiastic attitude towards training
- Engage positively with the multidisciplinary team
- Cover emergency anaesthesia and obstetric anaesthesia out of hours.
- Teaching, management, service development or quality improvement and patient safety
The Anaesthesia Department has a strong reputation for teaching and training, obtaining excellence in medical education. There are currently two college tutors for anaesthetics and one faculty tutor for Intensive Care Medicine.
The team have a fantastic success rate in the FRCA exams and actively encourage study leave and in-department lectures for the same.
The Trust also has a strong partnership with a variety of highly reputable UK University Medical schools which provides teaching attachments for clinical students in a range of specialties.
There are modern, well-equipped education centres and libraries on all three sites with an active programme of continuing education for senior medical staff. We are housed with multiple education centres which offer many healthcare databases.
The Anaesthesia directorate undertakes monthly academic, audit and governance meetings, which are multidisciplinary and involve staff from other sites. Routine elective clinical commitments are usually cancelled to enable all staff to fully participate.
In order to apply for this role you will need:
- Full GMC Registration (or you have been invited to the ID check stage)
- Hold full EDAIC, FRCA or equivalent post graduate qualification
- English Language Test (OET or IELTS)
- EPIC verification (via the ECFMG) of your primary and post-graduate medical qualifications
- Experience in a similar position overseas or locally (Consultant/Locum Consultant)
How BDI Resourcing can support
When choosing to apply for your next role with BDI Resourcing, you’ll have the full support of an expert recruitment team who will assist, as standard, with:
- CV Preparation using our recognised bespoke guidance
- Application support with expert knowledge of specialisms, NHS and local support
- Video based Interview Preparation using specific example questions according to job role
- Contract and offer negotiations for salary, relocation packages, tenure and more
Once you have accepted your new role, you’ll then be met by one of our dedicated relocation executives who will guide you through all the way to starting to your new role including:
- Document gathering and checking
- COS and Visa Application support if applicable
- Short- and long-term accommodation sourcing
- Travel Arrangements
- Family support for finding schools and any other aspects of pastoral care
We look forward to hearing from you!
How to apply
If you wish to apply for this opportunity or if you would like to discuss your search for work and seek advice on other available posts then please send a copy of your most recent CV to email@example.com and one of the Anaesthetics & ICU specialists will be in touch.
We look forward to hearing from you and wish you all the best with your job search!