A consultant in geriatric medicine is a medical professional who focuses on the healthcare needs of older adults, typically aged 65 and above. Their primary role is to diagnose, treat, and manage complex medical conditions that commonly affect the elderly population. They work closely with interdisciplinary teams to provide comprehensive care, including addressing age-related health challenges, chronic diseases, cognitive impairments, and functional limitations. Additionally, geriatric medicine consultants play a crucial role in promoting preventive measures, optimizing medication management, and enhancing the overall quality of life for their elderly patients. This position is perfect for doctors with a wide experience in general medicine and a special interest in elderly care.
- Conducting comprehensive assessments of elderly patients' medical conditions and overall health.
- Formulating and implementing individualized care plans for elderly patients with complex medical needs.
- Diagnosing and managing a wide range of geriatric conditions, including dementia, and frailty, falls.
- Offering advice and support to primary care physicians and other healthcare providers regarding the management of geriatric patients.
- Monitoring and reviewing patients' progress regularly to adapt care plans based on changing health needs.
- Providing end-of-life care and palliative support for terminally ill elderly patients.
- Conducting family conferences to discuss treatment options, prognosis, and involve relatives in the care process.
- Contributing to research and clinical trials to improve geriatric care and treatment outcomes.
- Actively participating in the training and education of medical students, residents, and other healthcare professionals in geriatric medicine.
- Ensuring compliance with healthcare regulations, quality standards, and patient safety guidelines.
This Trust is a healthcare organization serving the communities within the North of England. Within this Trust, the Geriatric Department focuses on providing specialized healthcare services for elderly patients, aged 65 and above. With a dedicated multidisciplinary team of professionals, including geriatric consultants, nurses, therapists, and social workers, the department offers comprehensive geriatric assessments, falls prevention strategies, dementia care, frailty management, and polypharmacy reviews. Additionally, the department provides rehabilitation services and end-of-life care, ensuring elderly patients receive tailored, compassionate support to address their unique medical needs and challenges. Continually striving to improve care and services, the Geriatric Department plays a crucial role in enhancing the well-being and quality of life for older adults in the community. There are over 80 acute Care of the Elderly beds in the Geriatrics ward, and separate specialist clinics dedicated to stroke, trauma, falls, Parkinson’s Disease, and osteoporosis.
This hospital is situated close to cities like Liverpool, Blackpool, and Manchester, so you would never run out of things to do. The area is a diverse and appealing region with a unique blend of urban and coastal charm. Situated within a relatively short distance from each other, this area offers a plethora of attractions that might appeal to international doctors. Manchester, a vibrant and cosmopolitan city, provides abundant professional opportunities and cultural experiences, while Liverpool, with its rich maritime history and thriving arts scene, offers a dynamic and diverse community. Blackpool, on the other hand, boasts a famous seaside resort and entertainment hub, providing a refreshing escape for leisure and relaxation. International doctors may find the region attractive due to its excellent transport links, enabling easy access to major cities and international travel. The area's diversity in both urban and coastal settings offers a variety of recreational activities and leisure options, from city exploration and cultural events to coastal walks and beach relaxation. The presence of world-class healthcare facilities and research institutions further enhances the appeal for international doctors, presenting opportunities for professional growth and collaboration. Overall, this region creates a compelling and well-rounded living experience, combining career prospects, cultural richness, leisure activities, and a welcoming community, making it an appealing destination for international doctors seeking a fulfilling and diverse lifestyle.
To apply for this position, you will need the following:
- Full MRCP (or equivalent)
- Full GMC registration
- Wide range of geriatric medicine, general medicine, and acute medicine experience
How BDI Resourcing can support
When choosing to apply for your next role with BDI Resourcing, you’ll have the full support of an expert recruitment team who will assist, as standard, with:
- CV Preparation using our recognised bespoke guidance
- Application support with expert knowledge of specialisms, NHS and local support
- Video based Interview Preparation using specific example questions according to job role
- Contract and offer negotiations for salary, relocation packages, tenure and more
Once you have accepted your new role, you’ll then be met by one of our dedicated relocation executives who will guide you through all the way to starting to your new role including:
- Document gathering and checking
- COS and Visa Application support if applicable
- Short- and long-term accommodation sourcing
- Travel Arrangements
- Family support for finding schools and any other aspects of pastoral care
How to Apply
To apply for this role, simply send your CV through to firstname.lastname@example.org and one of our specialist medicine team can pick it up. If you have any questions or would like to know more, please email your queries through to the same address and one of our team will be in touch.