A geriatric consultant in the NHS is a doctor who specializes in taking care of older people, especially those who might be dealing with health issues related to getting older, such as frailty or memory issues. These doctors work to make sure older patients get the right treatment, support, and advice to stay as healthy and comfortable as possible as they age. Geriatric medicine is an excellent way for doctors with a background in general medicine to enter the NHS system, as this subspecialty of internal medicine is closely aligned with the skills and knowledge acquired overseas in general practice.
- Support inpatient teams and provide high quality care across the geriatric wards.
- Participate in emergency and SDEC activities.
- Participate in on-call rota as required.
- Contribute to departmental meetings, service development, audit, and governance.
- Undertake training of junior doctors, and actively participate in the education of nursing and medical staff, as well as post-graduate interns and residents.
- Contribute to research to ensure the continuation of up-to-date knowledge in the field of geriatric medicine.
The hospital provides a range of medical services to the local community, with a focus on geriatric care and services for the elderly population. It is known for its commitment to enhancing care for patients with frailty, including specialized wards for older people, an Acute Frailty service, and a collaborative approach with community partners to establish effective admission avoidance pathways and holistic patient care. This hospital has over 500 beds, with over 200 inpatient beds across both sites which cater to acutely ill patients.
This Trust is based in the southwest, which is the perfect location for anybody seeking the natural beauty of the coasts of England. This town provides residents with access to beautiful beaches and charming seaside towns, as well as a great sense of peace and quiet. There are also great transportation links between all the seaside towns, as well as to other regions in the UK. This makes it convenient for residents to travel to London, and as Gatwick airport is less than an hour away, you will easily be able to travel abroad to see friends and family. The town is full of amenities, such as restaurants, parks, and schools, and has a very welcoming environment for international doctors
To apply for this position, you will need the following:
- Full MRCP (or equivalent)
- GMC with a license to practice
- Wide range of experience in geriatric or general medicine
How BDI Resourcing can support
When choosing to apply for your next role with BDI Resourcing, you’ll have the full support of an expert recruitment team who will assist, as standard, with:
- CV Preparation using our recognised bespoke guidance
- Application support with expert knowledge of specialisms, NHS and local support
- Video based Interview Preparation using specific example questions according to job role
- Contract and offer negotiations for salary, relocation packages, tenure and more
Once you have accepted your new role, you’ll then be met by one of our dedicated relocation executives who will guide you through all the way to starting to your new role including:
- Document gathering and checking
- COS and Visa Application support if applicable
- Short- and long-term accommodation sourcing
- Travel Arrangements
- Family support for finding schools and any other aspects of pastoral care
How to Apply
To apply for this role, simply send your CV through to email@example.com and one of our specialist medicine team can pick it up. If you have any questions or would like to know more, please email your queries through to the same address and one of our team will be in touch.