A geriatric consultant in the NHS is a doctor who specializes in taking care of older people, especially those who might be dealing with health issues related to getting older, such as frailty or memory issues. These doctors work to make sure older patients get the right treatment, support, and advice to stay as healthy and comfortable as possible as they age. Geriatric medicine is an excellent way for doctors with a background in general medicine to enter the NHS system, as this subspecialty of internal medicine is closely aligned with the skills and knowledge acquired overseas in general practice.
- Provide both inpatient and outpatient care and have responsibility for general medical and elderly care patients.
- Support the teaching and education of junior doctors.
- Participate in clinical audit, research, and clinical governance.
- Provide clinical support to the community care teams for elderly patients.
- participate in the consultant on-call rota as required.
This hospital has over 400 beds, which cater to a population of roughly 250,000 people. Within the elderly care department, there are a wide range of services to treat and manage older patients. There are also rapid multidisciplinary assessments and interventions within the elderly care ward, which is comprised of over 20 inpatient beds and over 30 beds for downstream rehabilitation patients. There are also outpatient clinics for frailty, movement disorders, and neurovascular services.
The hospital is located in a town based in the southwest of England. Here, you can enjoy a beautiful and peaceful environment, with a very friendly tight-knit community. The town is in the middle of green hills and national parks, making it the perfect location for anybody who enjoys being amongst nature. The town is rich with British history, including close proximity to Stonehenge – one of the oldest monuments in the country. It is also situated in the middle of some of England’s most popular cities, including London, Bristol and Bournemouth. Bournemouth is only a 45-minute drive away, meaning you can go to the beautiful sea-side town and enjoy the sandy beaches on your days off. The town offers easy access to other exciting destinations, as well as good transportation links to other great cities in the UK. You are also less than a couple hours away from some of England’s biggest international airports, making it easy and convenient to visit friends and family overseas.
To apply for this position, you will need the following:
- Full MRCP (or equivalent)
- GMC with license to practice.
- Currently working/have worked in the NHS.
- Wide range of experience in general and geriatric medicine
How BDI Resourcing can support
When choosing to apply for your next role with BDI Resourcing, you’ll have the full support of an expert recruitment team who will assist, as standard, with:
- CV Preparation using our recognised bespoke guidance
- Application support with expert knowledge of specialisms, NHS and local support
- Video based Interview Preparation using specific example questions according to job role
- Contract and offer negotiations for salary, relocation packages, tenure and more
Once you have accepted your new role, you’ll then be met by one of our dedicated relocation executives who will guide you through all the way to starting to your new role including:
- Document gathering and checking
- COS and Visa Application support if applicable
- Short- and long-term accommodation sourcing
- Travel Arrangements
- Family support for finding schools and any other aspects of pastoral care
How to Apply
To apply for this role, simply send your CV through to email@example.com and one of our specialist medicine team can pick it up. If you have any questions or would like to know more, please email your queries through to the same address and one of our team will be in touch.