A large acute hospital in London with all major subspecialties are seeking to appoint a Consultant in Chronic Pain Management. This is a full-time position offering 10 PA’s including 1.5 SPA, and the new appointee will share the caseload, facilities, and trainee grade support with the existing consultants.
This in exciting opportunity to join a growing Chronic Pain department, where you’ll be sharing the duties of anaesthesia for adult patients in specialties appropriate to your interests and CPD requirements.
The services in the Division include:
- Critical Care – Neuro ITU and HDU, General ITU and HDU and Outreach Service
- Acute and Chronic Pain services
- Resuscitation services
The Trust has a busy Maternity Unit approximately 8000 deliveries per year. In addition, there is a high-risk obstetrics unit and post operative maternal HDU run jointly by the Consultant Anaesthetists and Consultant Obstetricians
The Trust currently performs up to 28,000 operations per year which include adults and children, emergency and elective, day cases as well as inpatient cases.
There also boasts 52 critical care beds – split across two sites. The General ITU has a mix of both medical and surgical patients and is overseen by 20 Consultant Intensivists and 207 critical care nurses. Outreach services are consultant run seven days a week.
The Neurosciences department is a tertiary referral centre catering to Essex and North East London and the Trust is also a tertiary centre for vascular and cancer and have a high throughput of elective cancer surgery patients e.g. post upper GI surgery.
The multidisciplinary team offers a full range of Pain Management interventions ranging from seminars, groups, individual sessions/treatment, and Pain Management Programmes.
There are currently 4 Pain Consultants, 1 Consultant Clinical Psychologists, 3 Highly Specialist Physiotherapists, 2 Nurses and substantial admin support. The team work closely together on various pathways: Low back Pain; Complex Regional Pain Syndrome; Fibromyalgia; Neuromodulation (SCS); Opioid reduction; medical intervention.
Our Team participates in 3 MDT streams, Chronic Pain, Cancer and Palliative Care and Complex Spine. Team members are also part of various regional, national, and international societies.
Opportunities for development
- The Trust are committed to being a great place to work, and great place to train and a great place to receive care. As a large organisation we offer exciting opportunities for development, innovation, research, education, and training.
- The Department of Anaesthesia is committed to continuing its teaching role and considerable importance is attached to the support of the junior medical staff in the Department.
- It is essential that the applicants be committed to his or her own continuing medical education and professional development.
Main Duties of the Post
- On-call duties with a frequency of 1:10
- Clinical responsibility for any patient admitted under consultant care out of hours in accordance with the terms and conditions of service for Hospital, Medical and Dental Staff.
- Discharge teaching, examination and accreditation duties as required, and contribute to postgraduate and continuing education for medical, nursing, technical staff, GPs and other allied professions, in particular, develop and train the junior anaesthetic and critical care staff.
- Management of non-consultant grade medical staff.
- Approving and monitoring junior staff rotas
- Monitor junior staff locum arrangements where appropriate and they are also expected to concern themselves with the professional development, both clinical and personal, of their trainees.
- Contribute to the clinical audit process
- Encourage and participate in research initiatives approved
- Maintain an up-to-date knowledge of current anaesthetic procedures.
- Attend departmental meetings.
In order to apply for this role, you will need:
- GMC Registration complete (or awaiting ID check)
- Recognized post graduate degree (EDAIC, EDIC, MRCP, FRCA, USMLE)
- Language test (OET or IELTS)
- ECFMG verification
- Experience in a similar position overseas or locally (Consultant/Locum Consultant)
- Subspecialty training experience, fellowship or qualification specific to chronic pain
- Preferably having experience in the NHS at middle grade/consultant level
How BDI Resourcing can support
When choosing to apply for your next role with BDI Resourcing, you’ll have the full support of an expert recruitment team who will assist, as standard, with:
- CV Preparation using our recognised bespoke guidance
- Application support with expert knowledge of specialisms, NHS and local support
- Video based Interview Preparation using specific example questions according to job role
- Contract and offer negotiations for salary, relocation packages, tenure and more
Once you have accepted your new role, you’ll then be met by one of our dedicated relocation executives who will guide you through all the way to starting to your new role including:
- Document gathering and checking
- COS and Visa Application support if applicable
- Short- and long-term accommodation sourcing
- Travel Arrangements
- Family support for finding schools and any other aspects of pastoral care
How to apply
If you wish to apply for this opportunity or if you would like to discuss your search for work and seek advice on other available posts then please send a copy of your most recent CV to firstname.lastname@example.org and one of the Anaesthetics & ICU specialists will be in touch.
We look forward to hearing from you and wish you all the best with your job search!