Consultant Acute Medicine
- £88,364 - £119,133
- North West
The team are looking for a dedicated Acute Medicine Consultant to join their expanding team. This is an exciting time to be joining as the role of Acute Medicine continues to grow in patient pathways through the hospital. In conjunction with the NHS long term plan of expanding SDEC and focus on Frailty cases, you’ll be joining a multidisciplinary team providing diverse acute care.
- The applicant will be responsible for the assessment, investigation and management of acutely unwell adult medical patients.
- You will be play a large role in providing clinical leadership and senior decision making within the Acute team.
- The Acute Medical Unit is managed by two Consultants between the hours of 09:00 – 17:00. When on duty here you will be managing referrals, completing ward rounds, and overseeing new admissions.
- The role will also include duties in the Same Day Emergency Care (SDEC) Unit which is co-managed with the Emergency Department. SDEC is open 10:00 – 22:00, with Consultant presence from 11:00 – 19:00. SDEC receives referrals from the Emergency Department, the Acute Medical Take, GPs, community referrals, and the ambulance service.
- You will also be working closely with colleagues in the Acute Frailty Unit, aiming to reduce unnecessary admissions of elderly patients to the hospital.
- There is also Acute Medical Consultant presence in the Emergency Department to help with diagnoses and referral to the AMU.
- Acute Medicine Physicians are also heavily involved in managing the Acute Medical Take.
- To be part of the Acute Consultant on call rota, which at present is 1:7 weekends.
- Working alongside the acute oncall team, which is largely medics from the general medical specialties.
- This is a 10 PA contract, which consists of 8.5 PAs of direct clinical work and 1.5 PAs per week Supporting Professional Activities.
- As a senior member of staff you will be involved in teaching junior medical staff, alongside nurses, AHPs, and other members of the Acute team. This may be classroom or bedside teaching.
- The team are focussed on maintaining high standards of care so you will be expected to partake in quality improvement / audit / clinical governance activities.
- There is also the option to undertake your own research, as well as supervising junior doctors’ research.
The Hospital and Department:
You will be joining a team of Acute Medicine Physicians who are committed to maintaining a standard of high-quality care. The Acute Medical Unit is situated close to the Emergency Department, SDEC, Acute Frailty Unit, and Radiology department. The Acute Medicine department is part of the Division of Medicine, which encompasses all general medical sub-specialties and the post-holder will be expected to work closely with these teams.
The hospital is a medium-sized hospital with a wide range of services. The Acute Medicine department is looking to expand its Consultant team as the AMU/SDEC become a more integral part of inpatient flow.
The hospital is based in a large city in the northwest of England. The city has a bustling and vibrant atmosphere and you’ll never be short of things to do. There is a wide range of amenities for either a family or a single person moving to the area. There is a large international community in the area and in the hospital team. Cost of living in this area is low compared with many other parts of the UK.
The team are looking for individuals with senior decision making capability, strong management and leadership skills, and effective communication in a busy acute setting.
To apply for this position, you will need the following:
- Full MRCP
- GMC registration with a license to practise or in the final stages
- Experience as a senior clinician – Consultant, Specialist, Specialty Doctor etc.
How to Apply
To apply for this role, simply send your CV through to email@example.com and one of our specialist medicine team can pick it up. If you have any questions or would like to know more, please email your queries through to the same address and one of our team will be in touch.